Saturday, July 20, 2013

A typical interview

HR/Hiring Manager: we are looking for an emulation engineer, have you done this type of project before. 

Me: I've ran this type of project from scratch to a fully verified design as the project lead and tech lead when most people had never heard of emulation. By from scratch, I mean I had to install the correct power socket to building the lab as well installed emulators ($1million$ per emulator when a million$ was real money in 1997-8). Of course, I had to determine what is the best way to verify the chip design, which emulation is best for the company, the design team as well the chip design. 


HR/Hiring Manager: When was the last time you work on this type of project. 


Me: 2001, but what difference does it make? The skill sets to do the job haven't changed.  And when I started, I didn't even have the skill sets for the job, yet I succeed in completing the project on time and within budget nevertheless, and I was the first person (not just women) to do that. Now that I have the skills, I am not qualified? 


HR/Hiring Manager: Thank-you for your time, we will be in touch 


Never heard from them again. 




My field is emulations.  Between year 1999-2008, most of the people I interviewed by were males from Asia with a very heavy accent, nearly all were Indians.  Most of them had never heard of emulation prior to this job, and still couldn't wrap their head around emulation even today.  I ran emulation projects as a project lead from scratch and as a technical lead, and was one of the few, if not the only one could run this type of emulation project on time and within budget;  but never hired by any of the companies such as like Intel, etc.  I guessed the ability to succeed in the project is not a requirement for hiring, but being an Indian male and speak English with a heavy accent are.

Another word, male Indians from Asia dominated the field of emulations, and refused to hire any other race or gender, while top level management complained that there is not enough qualified American engineers and pushing the government for more H1Bs.  This is also true with Intel particularly as I interviewed with them in no less than 8 times over the years.

I was a project lead and a technical lead in Emulation projects that succeed on time and within budget.  Using football terminology, I was the Coach and the Quaterback and won the Superbowel on the first attempt.  Not only no one could compete with me, but I would be running emulation projects; and since most of Emulation engineers were males from Asia where women are a second class citizen, there is no way they would allow that.  That's why they've been denigrating me relentlessly.

These Indian males from Asia shown what they would do when they are the dominate of one field - emulation.

Additionally, in a similar manner as I was targeted the first month on the job in the Patent and Trademark Office by Tuan Nguyen and his countrymen, I was targeted as soon I arrived in the Silicon Valley in the 1990s and the Tech industry by people from Asia, and had to abscond from SFO due to physical harm threats by my immigrant Asian coworker and an Asian gang as some of my immigrant Asian coworkers were fired because management learned they caused me to resign.  I knew I would be under physical harm and rape threats when my Asian coworkers learned I filed an EEOC case against them.

Furthermore, racism is not a taboo in Asia and practiced openly.  

What is happening in the USPTO is what's been happening in the Silicon Valley and the Tech industry since the 1990s when a large percentage of people from Asia dominated some of the tech companies, except on a smaller scale in the USPTO, so you can see something is really wrong.


My qualifications: 

A Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, was pursuing a PhD while at the same time pursuing a second Master’s in Computer Science, as an adjunct in college, did research in Applied Physics and published paper (http://www.opticsinfobase.org/ao/abstract.cfm?uri=ao-32-21-3944).  

I aspired to be a scientist/Professor/researcher in college, to change the world and make the world a better place to live.  Most of my co-workers would've been my students had my research funding wasn't cut.  But because the tech industry not keen in promoting women, particularly into management, my coworkers were forced to compete with someone could've been their professor.  

I have extensive industry experiences and outstanding accomplishments in the same field as the patent class 703 – Simulation, Emulation and Modeling  http://www.deepchip.com/items/0343-06.html where I led projects.  I had a history of outstanding accomplishments in a male dominated Engineering field and academia which I had to work nearly 24/7 to achieve such result.  


I had to work nearly 24/7 in the Patent and Trademark Office to meet the 2 consecutive 3 COPA cases-per-bi-week right after the 6th month evaluation, 93% Productivity and a total of 19 cases including COPA cases soon after the 8th month evaluation.  I also had an airtight first case that is known to many SPE and Mr. David Kappo – Director of the Agency/Patent and Trademark Office.  

My accomplishments in the USPTO is child's play compared to my accomplishments in Emulations.

I've worked 3 jobs every summer since High School.


No comments: