Monday, May 27, 2013

I wondered if this is the culture here?


A few guys had asked me whether I am married, soon I moved into the office.  One even said "early bird catches the worm".    Hmmm, I wondered what he meant by that.......

The first time a guy asked me, I thought that was rude.  Now after a few other guys had asked me, I wondered if this is the culture here in the Agency or the DC metro?

I found these guys to be very scary, they seem to be so desperate to find a woman and/or that an Asian woman is an easy target, they are liable to do anything if they don’t get what they want.

I hoped I wasn't punished by the Agency (Asian women are easy targets?) because of these unwanted attention.   It is not my fault to get these unwanted attentions, and I've been getting this for a long time.   After all, I stay low key, not be seen and worked nearly 24/7.  When people such as a bus driver in Alexandria said "I had never seen anyone so hot before"; what do you want me to do, tell them to shut up?  People had said worse things to me, such as indecent proposals.  I am used to it.  I also think beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

If I married every guy who had asked me to marry him, I would've married over a dozen times.  

And for those indecent proposals, my price was $1 Billion dollars in 1999-2003.

Oh, btw, I don't cook or clean, but I can build a multi million dollar lab and established emulation capability for the company.  

And then the likes of Tuan Nguyen and his countrymen started slandering me as soon as they see me.  Just the antithesis of those guys above.  Why such diverse reaction between people from different cultures?


A little background on me:

I had worked 3 jobs every summer since H.S. under extreme discriminatory environment toward Asians;  even in the Greenwich Village of NYC where I worked and grew up.  Wall Street was the worst of it all (that's why I never wanted to work there); but child's play compared to the Silicon Valley where I worked with mostly people from Asia.  I was sexually harassed and abused on a daily basis; much worse than when I was working at the USPTO.

I was discriminated against since elementary school, even by Asian students who had shunned me, (partially because we were so poor, we didn't even have enough to eat; also like Europe, they also discriminated against each others such as Indian, Chinese, Vietnamese, etc., all discriminated against each other; and then there were gangs, etc.  I learned this in the Silicon Valley by working with them.  It was so complicated).  An Asian teacher didn't teach me to write due to her discrimination toward me.  I had fallen behind since.  I had to teach myself to write.  

I was fired in one of the Summer job in High School because a security guard didn't like Asian.  I knew then I had to go into a field where I had a competitive advantage.  I was looking into becoming a doctor, lawyer, MBA, etc., but I enjoyed engineering the most.  I believed Jewish people had a similar revelation as they are well represented in those fields.  

I put myself through college.  I was aspired to be a scientist/researcher/Professor in college, to change the world and make the world a better place to live; that's why I was pursuing a PhD.  

At least 2 Engineering Professors told me women are not wired to think technically, and that I shouldn't go into the engineering.

My father didn’t believe women should be educated (typical of Asian male), and wanted me to get a job after High School.  When he learned I was pursuing a Master’s degree and a PhD, he vehemently against it and threatened me with horrific stories (now I see why).  But since I’ve been self-sufficient ever since High School, had worked 3 jobs every summer, and we are in America, I didn’t care what he said.  Who knew the SF Bay Area/Silicon Valley became a new Asia that keep women down. The USPTO apparently is becoming a place of keeping women down, from what I had experienced. 

You see why I had to keep low key and not be seen?  

No comments: